Friday, February 12, 2016

“The good it does, is done poorly; the harm it causes, is done very well.”



     Successful gardening takes knowledge of the crops, the soil, weather, humidity, planting seasons etc. Gardening in Texas, as I learned, is much different than gardening in Colorado. The first year I planted a garden here in Austin, I tilled the ground, fertilized well, selected the best seeds, and watered and weeded faithfully, but my garden grew slowly and lacked the hardiness I usually saw, so I worked harder, watering more often, tilling and fertilizing, everything I tried failed and my garden died.
I eventually took the time to learn about planting crops in Texas, what plants grow well here, what pests lurk about, and when to plant what. Having an understanding of the environment was the ingredient for success.
     
     Not understanding the role of Government, its purpose, the reason for which it was created, is like trying to grow the wrong crops the wrong time of year, under the wrong conditions.

     In John Horvat II's article, "When government does good things poorly,”  he explains that we have let the government “assume powers and absorb functions that are contrary to its nature,” or the purpose for which it was created. Horvat further states that when the Government “stays within its limits, less force and money are needed to maintain it. People are willing to sacrifice and even die to defend the nation.” But when it “abuses its power, it becomes a great straitjacket to force strict compliance to the law, it no longer facilitates virtuous life in common.”

     I feel like Horvat explains the role of government well in his article found in the American Thinker, whether your liberal or conservative, take a moment and read it and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment